You are not a member of this wiki.
Pages and Files
Clover Hill Inventory.xls
Clover Hill Cemetery Newsletters
History of the Cemetery
Clover Hill Cemetery
Named a Historic Texas Cemetery in 2002.
Named for waterfalls on the Brazos River, Falls County was created in 1850. Brothers George H. and John T. Gassaway came to this area at that time and soon had a profitable cattle business, later contracting with the Confederate Government. In 1889, the Texas Townsite Company of Waco bought almost 2,000 acres from George Gassaway, furnished the right-of-way for the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad, and began selling lots for the new town named Lott, after Uriah Lott, President of the SA&AP.
By 1896, the growing town of Lott boasted shops, hotels, a newspaper, a band, churches and a volunteer fire department but no public cemetery. Emily Peters Porter and Matte L. Dickson led citizens in a cemetery effort, finding a site and holding many fundraisers to finance the project.
Several men and women who served in the country's armed forces are interred here, including Confederate soldier Noble B. Rinker (d. 1891), whose grave is the first documented at the cemetery. Named for the buffalo clover originally blanketing the chosen site, Clover Hill Cemetery, also known as Lott Cemetery, chronicles the lives of the town's early settlers.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"